Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Moths with spines

You may have seen this story about the kid who had two spiders make a home inside his ear.
In the story the doctor who removed the spiders refers to the experience by saying "It was the only time I ever pulled out an invertebrate." Now, to me, this would suggest he once pulled out a vertebrate, which would seem to me to be a MUCH bigger story. I can't even imagine. But no elaboration. Otherwise, one would think he'd just use the word "animal" or "bug".
Unless he was just trying to look smart, as all doctors should, by using a big word.
But then I found another article with more on the story.
Aside from the time some 15 years ago when he extracted a live moth from a patient’s ear, Irvine said he’s never had such an experience.

“It was the only time I ever pulled out an invertebrate,” he said.

Doh! Not only was he trying to use a big word to look smart, he apparently doesn't even know what it means.


No comments: