Thursday, August 23, 2007

How Lame.

I actually like several Pink songs. Probably more than I should. But oh man. this. The only way I got through this on TV this morning was watching the German subtitles for a German lesson. Which are rare to see on a video. Suggesting MTV or whatever thought these lyrics were important to understand. GAG.

I challenge you to watch to the end. And not get goosebumps. Not the good kind. The bad kind. The "oh man, how embarrassingly cheesy" kind.



All the lyrics are terrible. Including "Dear Mr. President,
Come take a walk with me." and "
How do you sleep while the rest of us cry?"
but the best section is:

Let me tell you 'bout hard work
Minimum wage with a baby on the way
Let me tell you 'bout hard work
Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away
Let me tell you 'bout hard work
Building a bed out of a cardboard box
Let me tell you 'bout hard work
Hard work
Hard work
You don't know nothing 'bout hard work
Hard work
Hard work


Yes, Pink knows about hard work and minimum wage, etc. Did you see when she got "punk'd" by Ashton Kutcher? Man, that was tough. Not tough like actually ever having a job out of showbiz, but tough. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDIzxMJpSHA

"why would I do this when I'm a famous musician with lots of money?"
"I'm calling my lawyer"


UPDATE: I wikipedia'd this song to see if maybe Pink would say something about it to try to lessen the ridiculousness, like, oh, it's supposed to be a letter from a little girl in a bad part of Chicago or some crap. But instead I got this jem:

Pink said that the song is an open letter to the President of the United States, George W. Bush, and that it is one of the most important songs she had written. She stated that it would never be released as a single because it was too important to be perceived as a publicity stunt.[1] It was, however, released in Europe and Australia.


Ohhhhhhh just stop.

4 comments:

EuroTrippen said...

Sappy lyrics or no, I can't knock her for trying. I keep waiting for the college-aged students of America to start the next revolution. Instead they're too busy texting on blackberries and checking their myspace.

The 60s had people demonstrating and protesting Vietnam... taking to the streets chanting "hey. hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?". What a great question to ask Bush... too bad we're all too apathetic and self-centered to get around to doing it. Ohio State was not only a tragedy, but a lightning rod... about which Neil Young wrote an amazing song that not only sums Vietnam up, but applies to Iraq today, too.

If all we get these days is Pink, I suppose it's better than nothing. Especially during an election year. But I don't buy the whole "too important to be published in America" bullshit. She's (along with her record label) just afraid of getting dixie chicked. What a pussy...

Alex said...

I dunno. This just seems like such crap. Like such a weak attempt. To me it seems like she took about 10 minuted coming up with the lyrics, and it IS about a publicity stunt.

I actually got excited about the Eminem song that came out right before the last election, "mosh". Like, I was actually thinking just that song may have started something. The one were everybody was standing up to the man and the angry mob was going out and in the end they were all going to register to vote.

EuroTrippen said...

Yeah, I remember thinking Eminem was going to finally rally a demographic that... if motivated... held enough sway to actually change things. But, no go.

Pink's a shallow idiot who thinks she's cool because she makes fun of other shallow idiots. It doesn't surprise me that her lyrics are featherweight. I definitely see your point there.

But if even one pampered little princess leaves the mall long enough to vote after hearing Pink's oh-so inspiring song... hey, more power to her (Pink, that is).

Stanklin said...

ha ha ha... i finally got around to listening to this. this is the crappiest of crap. christ balls.

pink could never get dixie chicked (she isn't played on country radio stations). the fact that no one else is doing it is no excuse for putting out bullshit. this really is bad. like, really bad.

eminem. yes. i forgot to mention that I was pissed at him for putting that single out too late. I remember that when I heard it (which was fairly early) it was too late to register to vote. what a turd waster.